Monday, July 28, 2008

Summer Movie Update

(I haven't posted in so long that I had to go back and see if I reviewed Wall-E or not! Turns out I had - here)

I've seen Hancock, Mamma Mia!, and The X-Files: I Want to Believe in the last few weeks.

Hancock was good, not great. I was very entertained and I thought the concept was pretty amusing. I'll be honest though, I really didn't like the second half of the storyline. To be honest it's been so long since I saw it that I don't remember really what I thought of it.

Mamma Mia! was so fun!! Definitely not for men though, lol. Pierce Brosnan can not sing, but I thought his personality was very fitting. Meryl Streep was great, and overall the cast was well-selected. It's just one of those movies that puts you in a good mood for the rest of the day.

The X-Files - so we all know that I am a huge X-Files fan, so this is clearly a biased review (either towards liking it or towards not liking it). It was great to see Mulder and Scully again, and I especially think Gillian Anderson did a great job with a story which had much more to do with Scully than it did with Mulder. I think overall it was a pretty entertaining and exciting movie - Curtis is not a fan of the show and he said it was "pretty good". The downside was it was a pretty weak X-File in that the mystery could have been more "unexplained", plus I think it was poorly written. You had to make a lot of assumptions with the characters. And with the movie running at 1 hour 40 minutes, they could have taken a little more time to flesh some stuff out. But I saw it twice, so it couldn't have been that bad, right?

At this point I'm looking forward to Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, which opens soon. I haven't decided whether I'm going to see the new Mummy movie or not, we'll see. I also need to see The Dark Knight - I think we're going to try and see it on IMAX at the Irvine Spectrum. But we'd have to do it during the week because of the crowds on the weekends.

I'll continue to keep this blog updated for my movie reviews :-)

No comments: