Sunday, April 13, 2008

Adventures in Washington D.C. Part III

And now for the conclusion! On Sunday morning Curtis and I got going at around 10:00 and took the Metro to Arlington Cemetery. We had to bring our umbrellas because there was light rain. We walked around the grounds and then made it to the Tomb of the Unknowns just in time to see the Changing of the Guard.
At first our plan was to take the Metro from Arlington to a stop near the Mall. Then we realized that the Lincoln monument was over the bridge from Arlington so we decided to go ahead and walk. We ended up with this great view.
We got to the Lincoln and luckily it had stopped raining for the most part. We walked around the Lincoln and read everything up on the walls.
Then of course we had to take pictures of the view from the Lincoln, both of the Washington and back at the Lincoln.

We asked a veteran to take a picture of us since we didn't have many of those :-)

After looking at the Vietnam and Korea war memorials, we headed down to the edge of the tidal basin to take some pictures with the Cherry Blossoms.

After that we made our way to the WWII memorial, which wasn't completed when I was last in town. I was surprise by how big it was, compared to the other war memorials.
One last look at the Lincoln

At the WWII memorial there were towers that represented each of the 50 states and territories that participated in the war, along with narratives of major battles and events.

"...even against the greatest of odds, there is something in the human spirit, a magic blend of skill, faith and valor - that can lift men from certain defeat to incredible victory..."

After seeing this memorial, we took a little break near the Washington Monument, and then made the trek to the National Archives. In front of the building there is a sculpture garden and this picture below is of one of the more unusual pieces of art.
At the National Archives we saw the Magna Carta, the US Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights. I was impressed by how well preserved the Constitution was, I was able to read most of the text, which wasn't the case for the other documents.
After the National Archives, we went back to Five Guys, made a stop at Dunkin Donuts (Curtis had never been there before) and then made our way back to the hotel. We watched the LSU - Tennessee Women's Final Four game and then crashed. We flew back the following day!
I hope you enjoyed viewing our pictures, stay tuned for Monday Updates tomorrow!

No comments: