Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Adventures in Washington D.C. Part I

Curtis and I arrived in D.C. on Thursday night at 7:30PM. It was a long day travelling so we hung out at the hotel. The next morning I had to be out the door at 8AM to catch the metro to the Foggy Bottom/GWU station. Luckily I had a map because I got really turned around once I got out of the metro station. I got a tour of the law school, attended a lunch panel with 4 professors and the dean of students, and then met up with another girl who accompanied me to Georgetown Law Center. Unfortunately I didn't think to bring the camera with me on my trips to GW and Georgetown, but I have pictures from when Curtis and I ventured out later that afternoon.
Curtis and I rode the metro to the capital building, where we started our tour of the 3 branches of government! I was very happy that we avoided the rain, and it wasn't too cold for us to go exploring.
We got our first glimpse of the D.C. cherry blossoms. Unfortunately they are doing some construction on the grounds of the capital so we couldn't get a good view of the front of the building.
Curtis took this pretty picture of the flower. I think he's really enjoying his new camera :-)
We walked around the capitol building and then stopped to take pictures of the Supreme Court Building:
It's pretty neat to think that I could be hearing oral arguments there next year! I heard a funny story from one of the profs at GW that he had students to camped out in front of the building the day before the hearing on the DC handgun law.
Our last stop on the branches of government tour was a trip to the front of the White House to get pictures. I've been to D.C. at least 3 times and I had never had that good of a view of the house, so it was fun to get pictures, look at the local protests, and quickly gain the sense that we were being watched intently by the Capitol Police who hang out outside.

Next up on my narrative on our adventures in D.C. is our meet up with my good friend Samantha, a visit to the Air and Space Museum where I got to see Stephen Colbert's portrait, and a nighttime visit to the Washington Monument!

1 comment:

Adelyn said...

Hey, glad you guys had such a great time in DC! I'm happy for you that you got to see Stephen Colbert's portrait after all :D