Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Under Fire...

Here is blog #2!

First, I want to mention the fires that are happening in SoCal. My parents live about 10 mi from the Orange County fire, so I'm a mildly nervous, not necessarily about the fire, but about the accompanying poor air quality and electrical outages. It is supposed to get up to about 95 degrees inland, so I'm praying that their power stays on, otherwise they have no way to stay cool and fiter the dust out of the air.

Second, quick law school update: I attended a law school panel last week with Stanford, NYU, Cornell and Duke. I felt better about applying to Stanford and not so good about applying to Duke. A similar thing happened when applying to undergrad: I met with a Yale recruiter and was instantly convinced that I was interested so I applied (and didn't get in, which was probably for the best anyway since Stanford was the school for me, but I digress). I heard a Harvard recuiter speak and was extremely turned up by his elitist perspective, so I didn't apply there, a decision which I have never regretted. Tomorrow I am attending a teleconference with the Georgetown dean of admissions, so I'm excited about that.

I am finalizing my first draft of the personal statement, I'm taking it in a slightly different direction so it's taking some effort and thought. Once that is done I will feel comfortable about asking for recommendations. So, the end is near! I hope to have a lot done before November (which i realize is next week) so I can study for the LSAT which is December 1.

On the sports side, I just applied for my Stanford Mens' Basketball season ticket, and I'm very excited for the pre-season to kick off! We have a home football game this weekend, which means another crazy Saturday!

Personally, I just spent last weekend at home, which was very needed for my emotional health. I've been very overwhelmed with work and law school applications and I needed to get out of town to feel good about everything again. Curtis and I got to spend a lot of time together which was nice, and I also got to hang out with the fam a lot, and I even saw my grandparents, an aunt and a cousin! The next time I will be there is Thanksgiving and then Christmas, but I hope to see my man sooner than that (hint hint honey).

Finally, I'd like to give a shout out to my best friend, Adelyn, she ran a 50 mile race a few a week ago! If you're interested in running, ultra running or just reading about running, read her blog: http://addygrl.blogspot.com. I think she's busier than I am, between school, student teaching and running, yet she is a very good and diligent blogger (much better than me, then again her blog topic is much more interesting than mine).

That's all for now! ~Christine

PS If you're like me and like to read up on what old friends are up to, please don't hesitate to shoot me a message (email/facebook/im) and let me know what's going on your life! Seriously, I'm curious =).

No comments: