Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Academy Awards Best Picture Nominees

I made an observation to my mom the other day, that I was looking forward to the Oscars this year because the movies seem more accessible to me this year. "Accessible to me" has a very personal meaning. As some of you know, I am unable to sit through movies with graphic violence. So, as much as I would be interested in movies such as "Inglorious Basterds", or "Gladiator" there is no way I can watch - it's just too much. Plus, I generally won't see the artsy movies, unless my mom recommends them.

But then I realized that with movies like "True Grit" and "Black Swan," two movies that are probably inaccessible to me (although I've heard that I might be okay in "True Grit," and the PG-13 rating helps) are up for awards. So I decided to use the blog to analyze the nominees to determine whether I have, or will, see the movie. If I have time I'll also look at the last few years as a comparison.

2011 Nominees:
Inception - just saw it, very cool idea. Should win cinematography and probably nothing else
The King's Speech - my kind of movie: no violence, British historical drama, Colin Firth... I would see this even if it wasn't so good
The Social Network - will see this weekend, again, happy that violence isn't involved
127 Hours - will certainly not see this movie. His story makes me cringe.
The Fighter - I actually think I could cope with this movie, I loved "Million Dollar Baby," but for some reason I'm not particularly drawn to the movie, except to see why everyone thinks Christian Bale gave a better performance than Geoffrey Rush in "The King's Speech"
True Grit - See my comment above. I'm thinking about seeing this in theater.
The Kids are Alight - This is the movie I'm constantly forgetting about but that I definitely want to see. I'll probably rent this soon.
Winter's Bone - I have no idea what this movie is about.
Toy Story 3 - Saw this on the airplane: I laughed and I cried. I have no idea why this is nominated for Best Picture, but I'm glad I saw it.
Black Swan - I will rent this, watch it in the middle of the day, and fast forward through stuff. This is one of the few movies that I really want to see but know that I won't get through unless I can edit it.

6 out of 10 isn't bad. Lets look at 2010:

Avatar - watched
The Blind Side - watched
District 9 - watched (borderline movie for me, but the fantasy element of aliens helps with my nerves)
An Education - no idea what the movie was about
The Hurt Locker - no way I could see this
Inglorious Basterds - no way I could see this
Precious - need to see, like, now.
A Serious Man - don't know what this was about
Up - watched
Up In the Air - need to see, like, now.

Tally for 2010? 6 out 10 - I'm surprised that last year's tally is the same. I suppose the tie goes to this year because of the number of movies I will finish BEFORE the awards show.

So what about 2009? (aka the year I had no life b/c I was a 1L in law school and planning a wedding)

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - I could see this, but the length scared me off
Frost/Nixon - watched
Milk - watched
The Reader - could see, but didn't
Slumdog Millionaire - This is probably the only movie from that year that I wasn't comfortable watching.

This was probably a rare year in which there wasn't a best picture nominee (or two) with a lot of violence.

2008:
No Country for Old Men - definitely wouldn't watch it
Atonement - watched
Juno - never saw (I know, I should have)
Michael Clayton - watched (good movie!)
There will be Blood - definitely wouldn't watch it.

2007:
The Departed - want to watch, but scared
Babel - nope
Letters from Iwo Jima - I like historical movies, but probably not
Little Miss Sunshine - could watch, but haven't
The Queen - watched

(I looked at 2006 and decided that I couldn't remember what at least 2 of the movies were about, so I decided I had gone far back enough)

Conclusions? Well, this year is more of the norm for me, than the exception. If there was a strange year, it was 2009, which if I remember correctly was a weak year in terms of movies.

Well, if nothing else, this was a good reminder of the recent good movies, and gives me a convenient list of what I want to watch :-).

No comments: